This April, to coincide with Shakespeare 400 and Emma Rice’s staging of A Midsummer Night’s Dream at The Globe Theatre, Swan has launched A Midsummer Night’s Dream afternoon tea. Inspired by the play and worthy of the fairy queen herself, the tea is available Monday to Saturday from 11.30am – 3.30pm, and Sundays from 2pm – 3.30pm.
The tea includes a collection of sweet and savoury delights, many of which can be traced back to the food and characters seen in the play. The menu features pea flower, which is the flower from which Oberon’s love potion is squeezed, interfering with the lovers’ fates throughout the play, apricots, which Titania feeds to Bottom when she is cast under the potion’s spell, and mulberries, the tree under which Pyramus and Thisbe agree to meet in the play within a play.
The tea is served on bespoke crockery reflecting the themes of the play, specially designed by illustrator Annika Wester.
MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM AFTERNOON TEA – £24.50
- Herb fed lemon chicken, pea flower
- Smoked salmon, grape mustard & dill pancake
- Wild mushroom, whipped truffle cheese tart
- Duck egg mayonnaise, asparagus
- Chocolate & Violet chouquettes
- Lemon & rose cake
- Strawberry delice, elderflower meringue
- Hibiscus & apricot shot
- Mulberry scones & plain scones served with clotted cream and Midsummer jam
Include a Love Potion cocktail, a magical mix of Earl Grey infused gin, honey from the London Honey Co, blackberry puree and prosecco, topped with fresh blackberries £33.00
MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM AFTERNOON TEA WITH BUBBLES
Afternoon tea doesn’t get more luxurious than when served with a chilled glass of fizz.
- Served with a glass of prosecco £29.50 per person
- Served with a glass of selected Champagne £32.50 per person
- Served with a glass of rose Champagne £35.00 per person
- 90 minutes unlimited prosecco afternoon tea – £39.50 per person
GENTLEMAN’S AFTERNOON TEA – £24.50
At Swan, afternoon tea doesn’t have to mean sweetness and light. Our Gentleman’s Tea is a feast of savoury tea-time treats, including Legbar scotch eggs, fish finger sandwiches and potted salmon. It’s not just for gentlemen!